A survey can help you find out about the condition of the property you wish to buy and highlight if there are any problems. These findings could then provide you with bargaining power for negotiating the price down or asking the seller to fix any problems before the sale goes through.You can read detailed information below about the different types of surveys available and which might be right for the property you’re buying:

Standard Mortgage Valuation

A Standard Mortgage Valuation is not a survey, it is a report required by lending organisations to confirm that a property provides suitable security for their mortgage.

This mortgage valuation includes a valuation figure and if required an estimate of re-building costs (this is for insurance purposes), as well as covering the basic property details.

A Standard Mortgage Valuation is a limited inspection for the lenders purposes, the lender advises that house buyers should not therefore rely on the information it provides when deciding whether or not to buy a particular property.

A valuation can also be provided for probate, matrimonial disputes, taxation and various statutory applications.

For more information on which survey might be right for you, please see the below – RICS Home Surveys Consumer Guide.

HomeBuyer Report

A HomeBuyer Report is intended for conventional, residential properties e.g. houses, flats and bungalows, which appear to be in a reasonable condition and have not been subject to significant alterations since construction.

The report is written in a standard format, it is more comprehensive than the standard mortgage valuation and focuses on essentials (e.g. urgent or significant defects and problems which may affect the value of the property). Because of the practical limits on the type of property and the scope of its coverage, the HomeBuyer Report is mid-range in price, more expensive than a Standard Mortgage Valuation but less expensive than a Building Survey.

This report will help prospective buyers to make an informed decision on whether or not to proceed with the purchase and assess whether or not the property is reasonably priced. It will also assist in identifying what decisions and actions should be taken before contracts are exchanged.

The surveyor will give their professional opinion on the particular features of the property which affect its present value and may affect its future marketability. The surveyor can only comment on visible areas where access is readily obtainable.

Specialist Report

Frequently a Standard Mortgage Valuation, HomeBuyer Report or Building Survey will identify the need for further specialist reports, usually regarding specific issues such as damp, drainage or structural problems. Sometimes expert assessments on even more specific issues such as wall ties, risks from trees, asbestos or environmental hazards are also recommended.

Often your bank or financing organisation will postpone your mortgage until such reports have been provided. Even if the receipt of such reports do not affect the lending decision remember that buying a house is one of the biggest investments you will make so following the advice of a RICS Chartered Surveyor is highly recommendable if you are to avoid or at least minimise future expenditures.

The thought of arranging several further inspections can be a daunting prospect, especially when you already have so much going on. Fortunately at SDL Surveying we pride ourselves on making the customer’s journey as smooth as possible and have therefore already set in place access to a whole host of specialist reports at fixed prices from reputable experts.

Reports Available
  • Drainage Survey
  • Roof Report
  • Electrical Report
  • Structural Engineers Report
  • Fire Break Wall Report
  • Tree Report
  • Gas Safe Engineer’s Report
  • Wall Tie Report
  • Asbestos Testing
  • Building Quotation
  • Combined Damp and Wood/Timber Report
  • Damp Report

For more information on which survey might be right for you, please see the link below – RICS Home Surveys Consumer Guide.

Building Survey

A Building Survey is suitable for most residential properties and provides a detailed picture of their construction and condition, including roof, chimney, wall, floor, ceiling, door and window, it’s more in depth than a HomeBuyer Report.

A Building Survey is likely to be needed for example, if the property is of unusual construction, dilapidated, has been altered or where a major renovation or conversion is planned. A Local Surveyor will provide advice on existing or potential problems and identify suitable remedial work.

The surveyor will agree to comment on particular areas of concern, provided they fall within the surveyor’s terms and conditions and within the guidelines laid down by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). The surveyor can only comment on visible areas where access is obtainable.

For more information on which survey might be right for you, please see the link below – RICS Home Surveys Consumer Guide.

Estate Agent Valuation

Thinking about selling your house? Find out its value from a recommended estate agent. Being a member of the SDL Group, we have access to CENTURY 21 UK, which is one of the UK’s largest networks of estate agents with a branch in most areas.

CENTURY 21 UK can arrange for an estate agent to come out and view your property and provide you with a valuation.

When you have read the below sections, please tick the box and click the ‘Submit’ button to complete your entry.

SDL Surveying Limited will be what’s known as the ‘Controller’ of the personal data you provide to us. We only collect basic personal data about you which does not include any special types of information or location-based information.

Why do you need my data and what do you use it for?

We need to know your basic personal data in order to get in contact with you to respond to your message, request or query. All of the personal data we process is processed by our staff in the UK.

Who is my data shared with?

Your data will only be shared with third parties if this is necessary to respond to your request. If this is the case, we will seek your permission before passing on your details.

How long do you keep my data?

We may store your data for up to five years, after which time it will be securely destroyed. If you would no longer like us to process your data at any time, you have the right to object to processing of your data. To do this, please contact compliance@sdlgroup.co.uk

What are my rights?

You have the right to object to the processing of your data. You also have the right to request access to your data at any time. You have the right to rectification and/or erasure of personal data or restriction of processing. If you wish to raise a concern related to how we have handled your personal data, you can contact us to have the matter investigated at compliance@sdlgroup.co.uk. If you are not satisfied with our response or believe we are processing your personal data not in accordance with the law you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office: https://ico.org.uk

 By selecting the box, you acknowledge that you have read and understood the above privacy notice and consent to its terms.